This course will provide guidance on key clauses (and related issues) typically found in international commercial contracts in English.
This will be a hands-on course with frequent drafting tasks for participants to undertake. The course will also highlight differences between contract law in Sweden and in common law countries as well as provide guidance on drafting in plain English.
THE COURSE WILL, INTER ALIA, DEAL WITH THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- Legal English key terminology
- Structuring a contract
- Payment clauses
- The difference between warranties, guarantees, indemnities, representations, covenants.
- Sales targets clauses
- Limitations/exclusions of liability
- Direct and indirect damages
- Default and remedies
- Boiler plate provisions
David Fletcher is an English solicitor who is a frequent lecturer in Scandinavia. He gives contract-drafting courses, both general and in-house, in a number of countries including Sweden, Denmark, Germany and Finland.
- Lawyers in practice or in-house counsel who deal regularly with agreements written in or translated into English
- Lawyers from firms or companies currently involved in little international work, but who are predicting or planning an expansion of this area
- Procurement managers/officers who deal regularly with international procurement agreements
- Government lawyers who work on cross border agreements
- Senior company executives wishing to enhance their understanding of and ability to write legal documentation in English
- Secretaries attached to in-house departments or government offices
- Secretaries to senior company executives who handle a range of communications, including contracts written in English